Monday, June 18, 2007

June 18 2007

I went out to the barn today about 5:45 pm because when I got home from work Levi had just gone down for his nap and Matt expected him to sleep for a couple of hours. Plus, the weather today is supposed to be nicer than tomorrow. It was a gorgeous day. When I pulled up I saw a truck and trailer and someone working with a horse. I asked Kittee what was going on. She told me Travis the trainer was there to work on loading with Derby. I went ahead out and got Sinwaan (who was also watching the loading) and groomed and tacked him up. He had rolled in manure so had a nice green spot over his withers. YUK. We went out and rode in the arena for about an hour. Half of it was damp and I didn't want him to slip so when we cantered it was only in half of it. We did a lot of trotting also. I am holding up pretty well, even riding two days in a row.

When I was done with Sinwaan I left him tied to the hitching post at the barn and went down to talk with Travis. He charges $35/hr and just lives down the road so is available for lessons. I am thinking of having him come back out another time to help me with Sinwaan loading in a straight load.

I put Sinwaan back out to pasture with his fly mask and brought in Ollokot. He did well for me to groom and pick out his feet, and again after minor sidestepping stood still for his fly spray application. Progress! I decided to take him out to the round pen. Well once again this frusterated me because I don't know how to tell him what I want him to do. Eventually he went over and rolled and got my bright rainbow halter all dirty. If I have some extra time and money left I may have Travis show me how to work him.

I put a fly mask on him today as well and he handled that well after trying to eat it a few times. I also took Justice a carrot and put his fly mask on as well.

On the way out I got talking to Dale and we talked for quite awhile about all things horse. I got home about 8:45 pm.

No comments: