Sunday, June 10, 2007

June 10 2007

Today I left home about 10:15 am to go out and ride. I stopped for gas on the way and to fill up the truck was $83! I was on empty, but geez!

Without going into as much detail as usual, I tacked up (put my saddlebags back on), mounted up and rode out through the pastures to the arena. There was a lot of rain yesterday, so even though mom KP was in town we didn't end up going out like we had planned. The ground was still pretty damp and slick but the horses were dry so easy to groom. The arena is a nice size and has a couple tons of sand. Sinwaan danced through the gate and really kept an eye on everything as there was a breeze and the arena is fenced off with ribbon tape that fluttered a little.

Yesterday I had started reading a book called Bombproof Your Horse by Rick Pelicano. There was a section in the beginning that asks you to do certain things with your horse and then rate their response to determine if you and your horse are a good team. One of these items was sidepassing. I faced Sinwaan into the fence and asked him to step over using the opposite leg. It took a little bit of asking but finally he understood what I wanted and was sidepassing with ease. So we worked on that every so often and did a little trotting, and twice I thought maybe I understood why Kim had used a running martingale with him as he had his head clear up in the air but we worked through that and after about 30 minutes Dale joined us in the arena. He rode with us 10 min or so and decided he was ready to hit the trail so off we went. Right after exiting the arena both horses went into a jog, they were feeling good. The weather was fantastic, overcast and cool with just enough of a breeze.

We rode down the driveway and along the front pasture and when we came to the section where we have to cross over the road Sinwaan walked right onward but Misty balked. I waited for them and decided it wasn't happening so I walked back over to try and encourage her to follow us and that didn't work so after about 15 minutes of fighting with his horse, Dale dismounted and led her across the road with no problem.

Well then Dale had to find a place to mount up as he has a hard time without a mounting block (So do I). We came to a knoll and he was able to sidle her up against it and after a few attempts, and her moving away, he finally was able to get back on.

I thought all was well and we could ride on up the hill. I got started and turned around to see Dale having the same trouble he did earlier, Misty was balking and going in circles and really misbehaving. He called out to me that it wasn't happening for him today, he thought maybe she was coming into season, he was taking her back home.

This disheartend me a little as I was really counting on a good conditioning ride today. As I rode back with him towards the road I thought why couldn't I ride on? Sinwaan had been good for me to this point, he seemed trustworthy enough, I wasn't afraid to ride him alone now. So I told Dale I would see him across the road and then I would turn around and head back up the mountain to the 1 mile point and then come back. Dale said ok, he would be in the arena.

Sinwaan hesitated a few times with me aiming him away from home again but was a good sport and we even did quite a bit of trotting this time. Once again he stopped and started peeing so once again I whistled.

I sang to him and I don't think he was crazy about that. LOL I was trying to warn the wildlife that we were coming. I didn't want any little animals jumping out in front of us.

We made it in good time to our turn-around point and headed back. Sinwaan had a couple moments today where he spooked but it is very nice as all he does is a spook-in-place. He plants his feet and doesn't really go anywhere so I have no trouble staying on when it happens. Gets my heartrate up a little though :)

I had a very nice ride with him today and I was inspired. That is always a nice feeling, to accomplish what you had planned for a ride.

I untacked him and he lowered his head for me to remove the bridle but when it was almost off he threw his head up and to my horror the chin strap was still caught on his lower lip and for a second I was afraid he would panic and get tangled but he didn't, he froze and I was able to get everything off. No harm done.

I brushed him, picked out his hooves and put on flyspray. Then I got out my measuring tape. I thought for sure I had my easycare form in my purse but I couldn't find it. I measured his hooves anyway. I am not very good with increments so a ballpark size is about 4 1/2" at the widest point. I am planning to order him some boots. Then I will have to ride with them and get that figured out, which I am reluctant to do, it seems like a hassle when he is doing so well barefoot but I need to know what I have will work in an emergency situation on a ride.

I gave him some grain for being so good and then I put a flymask on him and turned him out in the pasture.

Today is June 10th which means it is Ollokot's birthday! He turns three today so I decided it was high time for me to work with him a little again. I brought him in and he saw the port-a-potty and froze and blew out his nostrils. I let him stand for a minute and check it out and then he got over his nervousness and I led him through the gate right next to it and that was no big deal. Then I tapped on it and then banged on it with my hand, all the while he is watching me. Then I opened the door and the spring went uuuuuurrrrrrhhhhhheeeeeeee and what does Olllokot do? He pokes his head right in! Mr Curiosity! So I was pleased with that.

I gave him a good brushing, brushed his mane and tail, picked out his hooves (and he was very good for this btw) and then decided I would try the flyspray again. Last time he panicked when he was tied so I untied him and let him run circles around me as I misted him. He never did stop running around me but at least I got him all sprayed good this time. I gave him a carrot and some grain for his birthday and turned him back out in the pasture.

Lastly I walked out and gave Justice a carrot too. I might ride him tomorrow. Although sitting here typing this, my back is hurting so I will go and take a walk with the family and see how I feel tomorrow!

I got home a little after 2 pm. Was out longer than I planned and not as much trail riding as I had hoped, but I feel like we accomplished a lot today and I am pleased.

No comments: