Friday, June 15, 2007

June 15 2007

I went out to see the horses today about 4 pm. If I have to miss watching Judge Judy on Friday afternoons, I can't think of a better way to spend it :)

It was feeling a bit warm about 2 pm but on the drive out to the barn the air was cool and there was a nice breeze. I had my jodphurs on and a tank top and didn't sweat too badly.

Sinwaan and Ollokot were hanging out at the gate when I arrived. Sinwaan was no trouble to halter and lead through. He and Ollokot seem to enjoy each others company.

I noticed some tack left out by the hitching post and after noting all the horses in the field assumed Dale and Kittee had already ridden for the day.

Since Sinwaan got a sore foot the last time I rode up the trail I had already decided to spend today in the arena. How boring. :)

Kittee came out while I was tacking up and said she had removed Sinwaans fly mask during one cloudy day so his face could have a rest and not get rubbed. She said he was really good for her and I was glad, and thanked her.

After tacking up, I led Sinwaan out through two empty pastures and then through the mares pasture to get to the arena. He went willing along and was feeling good. I locked ourselves in the arena and led him to the mounting block and he stood good as gold until I mounted up and asked him to WALK ON. He is such a good horse. I just love him to death, we are getting along so well. He is much different than Dee but I appreciate that, and him, for what he is.

We did some walking and trotting and I decided I was ready to ask for the canter today. I had a little trouble getting him to transition smoothly (he kind of powers himself into it) but once in the gait he was clean. I have found he is more responsive at a trot than at the walk (to my leg), it is easier to keep him moving when he is going a little faster.

He had a little spook today but again nothing major, just a little jump in place and then he is fine. No harm, no foul. I am starting to anticipate them.

We had a fine time today in the arena, doing our gaits and a little sidepassing again. A few woahs and standing still so I could get my water bottle out. He jumps when he hears the velcro but then all is well again. I ask him to back at least once also.

When I was done I got off, led him back through the arena gate and mare pasture and then once through that gate decided to try and get back on without the help of a mounting block. He is not THAT tall, but I have short legs. I found a low spot in the ground and walked him into that and told him to woah and he did just as I asked and stood and waited for me to hop aboard. That was not too much trouble and I was proud of myself :) hee hee

I rode him into an adjouning pasture and trotted from one end and back and then walked him through the final pasture, dismounted and called it a day. Untacked, groomed, gave him his grain and carrots. Applied flyspray and put on his fly mask.

When I turned him back out, Ollokot was at the gate so I intended to get him out and do the usual but I almost had the halter on him and then Sinwaan came back over and Ollokot got real nervous and I didn't want to take any chances getting smashed in between the gates so I just let him go and gave Sinwaan some more attention.

Then I went down to the other pasture where Justice had segregated himself and led him back up to the barn. I was feeling quite motivated today and decided to ride Justice too. After all, if mom is going to come out and ride Sunday I wanted to be sure he would behave. It has been awhile since he was ridden.

I switched bridles for him but I used the same saddle. He is a little fatter than Sinwaan. He pulled his usual tricks, stretching to try and eat weeds while I was grooming him. Well I did the same thing with him, walked him down to the arena and then led him to the mounting block.

It was NOT the same experience with Justice. He acted like the mounting block was a horse-eating monster. When he realized (quickly) that I was not going to give up and he better stand next to it he obliged but only long enough for me to put my foot on the top step and then he started walking away. Grrr. I made him back up back into position and tried again. This time I got on the top step and he swung his butt away. So I gave him a pop and made him walk clear around and line up again. I decided quickly that even if it was the only thing we did all day, he was going to stand there and stand still until I was on board and asked him to move. So it took a little while. Probably 10 attempts. Finally he stood and I hopped on, quickly, because by then he was walking away again. I got him stopped after about 8 steps and my right foot found the stirrup. Ok ready!

We did a lot of walking around because he was telling me he was not about to be obedient and I had to work hard for everything I got from him today. He wanted to walk on the inside of the arena, not the perimeter. When I would ask gently for a slight turn he would try and turn clear around. FINALLY I decided we could move up to a trot, as he has a very nice smooth trot that I enjoy. Well he transitioned well enough but then he started arching his neck and putting his head clear down and I was concerned that he would try to buck. The only thing that finally worked was to pull up with ONE rein and toggle them lightly, then his head would come up and he would try to walk. So I would push him back into a trot and he would go all kinds of directions and put his head down again. This horse knows all the tricks in the book, let me tell ya! It was pretty frusterating! He needs to be schooled! I came to the conclusion that if he acts like this on Sunday mom will be riding Sinwaan as he is better behaved!! THE IRONY!

I tried to ride Justice as long as I had ridden Sinwaan but since I don't actually have a watch it was my best guess. When I felt we finally had a good note, I dismounted and led him out of the arena, through the mare pasture and through the gate. I put him in the same low spot as I had Sinwaan but of course he wouldn't stand still. So we go through that again, this time it took considerably less time for him to stand still, I hopped on quickly and again he was off right away before I asked. We did the same pattern in the pasture as I had with Sinwaan, trot down and back one field and again he was trying to put his head down on me....geez....

Enough of that! I did my best to make him mind before ending our session. I untacked him and gave him grain and carrots, though he hardly deserved it today :-P I put flyspray on him and his flymask and no trouble there. Turned him out in the pasture and headed down the drive. I saw Dale so stopped and talked with him about 20 minutes then headed home.

Dispite everything I feel very good about today, very accomplished. Although now my back is starting to hurt and the husband wants to get up at 4 am to drive to Olympia for the day.

Signing out....

No comments: