Monday, December 31, 2007

December 31 2007


Well I had been hoping to ride on New Years Day since it is rumored to be good luck. Dale checked the weather and thought that today would be a better riding day out on the trail than tomorrow so I threw my plans out the window and headed out to the barn today. I wasn't sure how I would do riding two days in a row but I am so glad I went.

The weather was about 40 degrees and there was very little wind, which made for a pleasant ride. I did dress for the mountain, however, with an ear covering, 3 shirt layers and my "horse coat," and Kittee lent me some gloves.

The plan initially was to ride up Cache Hollow, which is my usual route during conditioning rides. However we could see/hear ATVs on that road today, and I had never been up Spofford Rd., so it was decided they would show me Bowlus Hill.

We trailered the horses down the road about a mile or so and then drove up Spofford Road, which is a curvy gravel one-lane farm road. We turned around and parked on a knoll in the field. Then we saddled up and rode out from there. It is so gorgeous up there. Dale rode Misty today and Kittee rode Nugget. We rode on a double track trail through the fields for some distance and then out across the field once the trail ended. Then ahead of us was Bowlus Hill. There is a big "S" carved into the side of it which I think is supposed to be a switchback trail for machinery but we did not follow that grade. We made our own trail, weaving back and forth up the giant hill. The horses took a few rest stops throughout as it was very steep and scattered with bunchgrass - which Sinwaan took full advantage of at every break.

There were numerous birds of prey floating nearby and at one point on the way back, one flew very close to us, probably within 100 feet and it was a sight to behold. Once we reached the top of Bowlus, the view was spectacular. You could see 360 degrees around the valley. You could see Milton-Freewater and College Place and Walla Walla, and yes even Bennington Lake. Looking to the other side were the Blue Mountains covered in snow. Dale took some photos - the first one is Kittee and I on a knoll out in a field off Spofford Rd. The other two are at the top of Bowlus Hill and some of the view from up there.

It was a slow ride, mostly walking with a little trotting, and Sinwaan seemed to really enjoy himself. When we got back to the barn I gave him his grain and a carrot and put his blanket back on because by then it was getting very cold.

What a fantastic way to finish off 2007. Sinwaan and I have clocked 76.7 hours in the saddle this year + one endurance ride of approx 5 hours, and hope for even more in 2008. Happy Trails and hope to see you out there! :)

No comments: