Sunday, January 13, 2008

January 13 2008

Today I went out to the barn about 11 am. On the drive into Milton Freewater I could see the fog tiptoeing in on little cat feet. It was unreal, like I have never seen before. Hwy 11 had fog so thick I could barely see 1/4 mi ahead. Not good riding weather I mused, but pressed on since often the weather is completely different at the barn.

Sure enough, the weather was bright and the fog had stopped about 3 bluffs away from the ranch. Dale and Kittee were bringing down hay from their loft. Once they were done we groomed our horses and Kittee and I tacked up and took a ride up Cache Hollow. We went up to the 2 mi point and let the horses do a little munching. It was beautiful up there, sunny and bright. I had gotten warm enough to unzip my jacket and take off my gloves. We could see that the fog was moving in, however, so we decided to head back down.

As usual Sinwaan became a different horse headed for home. Full of himself and wanting to GO. We did a lot of very fast trotting and a little cantering but I tried to discourage that since the footing was a little wet. It was amazing the fast change in temperature, I put my gloves back on and fastened my coat. We rode into the fog and could see it settled in the valley. The really interesting and beautiful thing was that the bluff behind the barn was illuminated.

I fed Sinwaan his grain and let him graze a little on the grass around the hitching post and finally put him back in the pasture. He went over and rolled and rolled.

No comments: