Sunday, June 23, 2013

Another 8 miles

Well this evening I was able to go out and put another 8 miles on Sinwaan. It started out horribly muggy - we usually don't have humidity in this area but tonight was an exception. I was having to push quite a bit to get Sinwaan to keep a steady trot, and even then my arms felt like they were oozing sweat.

Then a storm moved in and cooled things down significantly, it was wonderful. I saw it moving in overhead and was not sure if we would get dumped on, but decided that if we did, I certainly wouldn't mind. It ended up moving south and only gave us a nice wind to ride home in, we did a little cantering and felt like we were all alone in the wild with his mane whipping about.

We rode past a little skunk this evening, it was just a juvenile, must have been about 10-12 weeks old and having never seen a baby skunk, it was a real treat. Even better that it didn't spray us!

As I was un-tacking the rain drops started pelting down. What timing!

* * *

Heather and I met and talked strategy on Monday evening, and the next plan of action is for me to really work hard at keeping Sinwaan trotting. We do a lot of walking and he needs to start being able to recover at a slow trot. After we can get that down then we start interval training and then adding more miles. So we have a lot of things to work on, and I am anxious to get going.

We have had a lot of rain which has prevented me from riding, mostly because I am not real excited about tacking up a wet horse. The rain itself isn't so much of a problem, but the footing could be and I want to avoid injury as well.

Next ride is planned for Thursday. Likely another 8 miles, but this time with more rating his speed and keeping it steady. Tough for us!

No comments: