Tuesday, May 29, 2012

8 miles, 59 degrees

This morning my dog woke me up at 4:30 am because she had to go out and do some business. What to do, when the alarm is set for 5 am? Well, I went back to bed. The alarm went off and I hit snooze. I figured since one dog was already pottied, I could steal another couple of minutes in bed. That was about all I got, as I roused myself before the alarm went off a second time.

I was saddled up and riding out by 5:50 am. It really had the makings of a glorious day. There was more wind then I like, and the American Flag that had been posted to the house for the holiday yesterday was flapping about,  but Sinwaan paid it no mind. He was really quite mellow for the conditions this morning.

We stopped for a bit when I saw a walker coming towards us and two dogs out in the wheat field. The dogs were hysterical to me, because you could not really see them until they pounced, bounding straight up in to the air and then disappearing again. I could imagine how this could be unsettling to my horse, however, so we  just stood still and took it all in for a couple of minutes as they approached. I went to the other side of the road as they got closer, and then saw a rabbit scramble across in front of us. Saved! The dogs had missed it. The woman told me her dogs would not bother my horse, and she whistled for them. They went running after her and there was no trouble so on we went.

Overall, we made good time coming down our first 2 mile stretch and because at that time I was undecided as to if I really wanted to do the entire 8 mi 'lollipop', we turned left onto the intersecting road today, instead of making the usual right. We went down Mission, and things were well. I watched the sun rise in front of me.

It was a beautiful morning and it felt great to be out on horseback to welcome in the day. I let Sinwaan stop every so often to grab snatches of grass, or alfalfa, since these rides take him out before breakfast.

When we got near the end of Mission, Sinwaan picked up the pace. We turned onto Froghollow and went over the bridge at a trot. We uncovered a head wind and it was blowing his mane all about. He looked at things along the way but kept up his nice forward pace the whole stretch of road. He knew he was headed for home.

We alternated walking with trotting on Last Chance, and  I let him set the pace as long as it wasn't too brisk. At the intersection towards home we met up with the school bus that I have now seen 3 times on my morning rides. I waved it on and then we turned and headed up the home road.

Sinwaan wanted to go go go, which 6 miles in is a good thing for him! It means his fitness level is building and it can't happen too soon. We trotted along, stopped for an alfalfa bite, and trotted some more. There is a construction crew laying the floor in a pole building and as we passed the cement trucks there was a "bang!" and Sinwaan had a bit of a jump forward but it was no trouble and he quickly regained his confidence. We had a short canter in the last mile of road and although he tired out, we did keep trotting until we got to the driveway.  We got back close to 7:20. 90 minutes for 8 miles is not great time, but it is something.

I am pleased with his progress, and my own. Another ride closer.

No comments: