Saturday, April 17, 2010

Saturday ride

A lovely day for a ride, and if anything perhaps a bit hot for spring. Matt and the kids went out with me to help hook up the truck to the trailer. I figured I would be out there forever trying to do it myself. I pulled out Sinwaan's new shipping boots and put those on him this time to try them out. I only put them on the front and he did well. I dropped the family off at the house on the way to the Lake.

I met a lady there today, Sue Webb, and her horse who is a TWH/Welsh cross. Sue is wanting to try endurance so I invited her along today to see how we condition. She was ready to go when I pulled up but patiently waited for me to get Sinwaan ready. We talked a little about endurance and as I was about ready Ruth and Heather pulled in. Ruth said it would take her a little while to put on Otto's new Renegade boots so Sue and I rode down the trail to warm up our horses while we waited. Using the GPS I discovered the 'outhouse' on the trail is just about a half mile from where we were parked. Ruth and Heather were riding out to meet us as we headed back.

They are doing a lot of trail reconstruction on the main trails, adding culverts and over that black material and gravel on top of that. Rolls of black material were laying around, lots of new and scary things for the horses to look at. Because of that we did a little more walking than I envisioned. Ruth led and set a steady pace the majority of the way around. It was such a gorgeous day, I was so glad to be outside riding! I did wish I had thought to put on sun-block as by the end I felt a little crisp. I had to leave by 4 pm and just barely made it back to the trailer by that time.

According to the GPS we did 7.31 miles today in 1:35. The first two miles at least were walking.

Our next ride is Milwaukee!

No comments: