Sunday, April 18, 2010

The girls

Today I rode Cindy's Arabian mares, Midge and Ali.

Midge was first. I worked her a bit in the round pen before tacking up, asking for the walk in both directions, and then a trot. She was very responsive. When I put on the bridle she was very busy with the bit the entire time so they are going to look into getting something different for her. She stood very quietly for me to mount up but once astride she acted up a bit. Granted, she has not been ridden for a year so I expected a bit of trouble. She is also very green.

Ali was more excitable being led over but once in the round pen she mellowed out and also was very responsive when I worked her from the ground. She took the bit easily and didn't fuss with it. Mounting up she tried to swing away from me but I went with her and quickly hopped in the saddle. I had to dismount after a couple minutes because the saddle was loose. I had walked her and tightened it before mounting up the first time but it still need adjustment. She is supposedly trained Western but she did not respond to neck reining so I switched to direct pull with her and just the lightest touch moved her. She was a joy to ride, I felt much more comfortable on her after only a couple minutes in comparison to Midge. I warned Cindy that if Sinwaan gets injured she may find herself without a horse. ;)

After riding her for a bit at both the walk and trot I asked Cindy if she was ready to get on. She was, but worried about mounting up. I stood on the opposite side of Ali and held her. Cindy found that if she put her weight in the saddle from the mounting block, instead of from the stirrup initially she would stand still. Something to work on, but it was progress. Cindy rode a short time and it was great to see her astride.

After that I didn't have much time for riding Sinwaan so he was treated to a day of pampering, he did not complain! I used the clippers on his bridle-path, and trimmed his ear hair so it isn't so shaggy. I also used a shedding blade on him to try and pull out the rest of his winter hair. I didn't get it all but it's better than it was. I still worry about him getting too hot at the ride next weekend. He got a bit of grain before returning to his paddock.

No comments: