Sunday, August 10, 2008

Leisurely ride with Ruth

Today Ruth agreed to trailer out and ride with Sinwaan and I, so she picked me up about 9:15 am. The weather was just gorgeous, about 80° with a breeze, could not have asked for better! I showed Ruth my Arab halters and we talked a little about the halter training and then we groomed and tacked up the horses.

We went down Elliot Road and turned onto the dirt path and followed it to where it intersects with Telephone Pole Road. We then took Telephone Pole Rd south to the intersection at Birch Creek Road. Here we decided to ride along Birch Creek Rd to where it comes back to Elliot Road at the grain elevator. There was really not much of a shoulder on the road so we took advantage of the neighboring wheat field which had been tilled under. We had a lovely ride. We probably walked about half of the miles and trotted the other half. There were still train cars on the track but no activity today (maybe that's the trick - ride on Sunday's when no one is working) The horses were both well behaved and there is no real trouble to report on.

I thought for sure we must have done about 8 miles today but looking at the map now that I am home reveals a trip of about 6.8 miles. [EDIT - I drove the distance in the suburban 8/11 and it was exactly 8 mi!] Well at least we are riding! Ruth said next time we should try to do the whole thing at the trot. We'll see. I got back home right about 12:15 pm.

:)

No comments: