Saturday, August 9, 2008

Halter training, take 2

This morning the weather was cool and I was excited to go out to the barn and try my new knowledge out on Sinwaan. Riding the motorcycle out was a bit hairy - the wind was blowing me all over the place, it was crazy. At the barn there was just a nice breeze so I grabbed the show halter and whip and went out to get Sinwaan.

He walked right on up to me and waited as I put on the halter and attached the throat-latch. I led him out to the round pen and noticed that he never even tried to take a nibble of anything on the way there. Either he was full from breakfast, or he remembered a little of yesterdays training - this halter means business.

We worked together for about 30 minutes and I was very pleased to see that he had remembered just about everything from yesterday. He got his rear planted in the right spot and then would move his fore with me to the side when I asked to line up and stretch out just a bit. Twice he gave me trouble backing up, rather than getting more frustrated I moved him forward again and we would start over.

I took carrots out with me today and when he would set up and stand just right I would then ask him to bring his head forward and if he did a good job he got a baby carrot. I figured he deserved some little rewards today. He really did awesome for me and I am thrilled. What a confidence builder! I feel like I could really take him out now either for photos or to a show and we would do ok. I am sure there are still some things to learn but for now at least I feel like I am getting a grasp on this whole halter handling business. Exciting!

Tomorrow it's time to saddle back up and go for a ride. Weather is reported to be a high of 84, I can't believe it! :-0 In August! I am getting SPOILED and am sure I am in for a real awakening when I hit the highlands of Virginia - only about two weeks away now.

No comments: