Thursday, August 7, 2008

August 6 2008

First ride for the month. The guy coming out to help me with halter pointers had to reschedule for Friday, so I decided to go out and ride tonight. It has been fairly hot lately (high of 92° today) and today we had quite a bit of cloud cover, making for a muggy - yet cooler - day than anticipated tomorrow (98°). So I figured I needed to get out there and ride!

I drove the motorcycle out, and on the way there thought about how I really didn't want to ride tonight. I was getting uncomfortable under the helmet, it was warm. I thought of Kim and how hot it will be at that ride later this month and decided I had better grit my teeth and get used to it!

Sinwaan peeked at me from behind his shelter. I'm not sure he was thrilled about working either but he willingly came along with me into the barn for his quick grooming. I brought a backpack this time so I could haul out my water bottle and some new fly spray for the equine. The flies are starting to show up now that the heat is coming on stronger. Until last week I hadn't seen any.

I tacked him up quickly and was soon mounted up and riding down the driveway. He took a second look at the motorcycle but otherwise was fine with it. He tried very hard to convince me this time that he was STARVING and just HAD to sidestep over there and take a bite of weed. I think not!

He was pretty lazy and slow on the way out tonight. I decided to go up Stateline Road again and see how things went. As we passed the pasture on the left three horses came galloping up to meet us. Just then a truck came up behind us and drove past in-between (I kept Sinwaan to the right) There was a cute red roan, a dun and a lighter horse, all mares. They were very curious. A small car followed the truck and both were courteous, not too much dust. We crossed the railroad tracks and I took a look in both directions. No trains tonight, hallelujah!

We did a lot of walking and some trotting but overall took it easy. There was more traffic tonight then I have ever seen on this road. People coming from both directions. Most slowed way down to pass and to help with dust, but one lady in a little hatchback cruised on by us in the other direction at about 30 mph.

I asked Sinwaan to trot some more and we set a fairly slow pace for about 1/4 mi. I saw a little road to the left into a wheat field so we took that for a change of pace. Sinwaan was happy to trot down this road because he thought it would take him back to the barn and his dinner. It didn't go very far, looked like a turn-around for farm trucks. We turned around and headed back to the main road.

We went back into a trot and then I asked him to canter and he picked it up right away but was sluggish. We cantered for a short stretch and then came upon a sprinkler that was jetting out across the road. We walked up to it and timed it so we could walk past without getting wet. We went on up to the stop sign and turned around and headed for home.

As usual, now I had a different horse under me. He walked to the sprinkler section with no problem but boy then he wanted to GO. I let him trot but had to keep checking him to remind him who the boss was and I hadn't asked for more speed. He was really moving out and wanted to run but I made him trot until I felt him settle down a little. Once he was more manageable I asked for the canter and he was quick to give it to me. I felt his hind end come up and out in a quick buck and I verbally warned him and after that we didn't have any more trouble. He was running so he was happy. We kept it to a hand gallop, nothing crazy on these back gravel roads. We had a truck come at us so I slowed him to a trot until it went past and then back to a canter. A little more attitude from him - but again - quick to settle into a nice gait. Goodness me. We must have cantered 2/3 of the way home. Just before the railroad tracks I made him trot and we trotted until we reached the horse pasture just before the pavement. From there we walked so he could cool down a little.

He wasn't thrilled about walking but he did listen. He had a little spook once or twice from that point - on the right was a winery building with some kind of fan that kicked on, on the left was a house with a jumbled-looking yard (lots of cars and 'stuff' scattered about) and kids hopping around playing on riding lawnmowers, a sprinkler going, etc. We got past it at a brisk walk.

Back to the barn safe and sound. What a relief. Now that I am riding the motorcycle out to the barn I worry a little more about coming off and getting injured. It would be possible to drive myself home in a car with an injury, but a motorcycle? Not a chance, I need all limbs working 100%.

We did about 3.4 mi tonight. Not much, but at least I am riding! Only 2+ weeks until the Virginia Highlands ride.

I untacked, gave Sinwaan some baby carrots as a treat and put him away in his paddock. I am looking forward to our halter lesson on Friday!

No comments: