Saturday, September 22, 2007

Trail ride with Imaginn

Today was to be our first trail ride out with Imaginn, Lara's young mare. We had actually planned a trail ride last weekend but due to wind we canceled our plans. Lara was late picking me up and rolled her eyes and groaned "Don't ask!" Well I didn't have to, she told me all about her trouble loading Ima when I got in the truck.

It was a gorgeous day and a little cool. We loaded up Sinwaan and trailered them out to Bennington Lake. The horses were both well behaved for grooming and tacking up. It was looking like Ima would do just fine.

We first did the mid-lap around the lake, not wanting to encounter hunters on the farthest lap out. Everything went very well, Ima eager to go and setting a very brisk pace at the walk. Sinwaan would let her get ahead and then do a little trot to catch up. At one point we let them trot together and that was marvelous.

We did the shorter closer lap the second time around. Lara set Ima to a slow jog and Sinwaan was able to match her gait for a period. On both laps we encountered a dog but thankfully their owners were considerate and held them close. Sinwaan acted a little goofy with one lady, her dogs were obviously wet and maybe they smelled funny. Overall he set a pretty good example for the interesting things (like the bridge) but Ima didn't really need it, she did better than expected. No funny business.

When it came time to trailer them up to leave, Ima again gave Lara trouble. Finally I went around behind and lifted her hind foot and placed it in the trailer. Then I went around the other side and pushed on her so she would have to put weight on the trailer hind foot to balance and then at that point she finally did get in all the way.

I had a bit of a time constraint for riding today as my mom was coming to dinner and I wanted to be home about 4 pm. Otherwise I would have liked to ride all afternoon, it was just perfect weather and with it being a little cooler Sinwaan was eager to go too.

Now that fall is on its way I will be limited to two rides a week if I can plan that around work, daylight and weather, to keep him in shape for our 2008 Endurance Ride Schedule.

1 comment:

Lara said...

2008 Endurance schedual, I like the sound of that!!

Oh yeah, thanks for sharing our first ride with us :)