Wednesday, September 5, 2007

First Bareback Ride on Sinwaan

Tonight I went out to the barn right after work, thinking I would get a decent ride in before I leave for the weekend for my little brother's wedding. (Sinwaan is due a much deserved vacation) Well the first thing I noticed is that all the vehicles were gone. Usually someone is home to come looking for me should I have trouble on the trail. I walked out to get the halter and noticed hay stacked up in the lower part of the barn, and the hay elevator was set up and appeared to have a broken chain. As I grabbed my halter I realized I had left Sinwaan's rear boots at home in the tub, where they have been drying the past three days.

Well now I wasn't quite sure what to do. So on a hunch I decided to round up Ollokot from the pasture and make him work in the round pen for me. He was easy to catch, as always. Once in the round pen things went easier than I anticipated. Last time I tried to get him to walk and trot for me he ignored me, gave me attitude, and then went over and rolled in the sand. I didn't want a repeat of that so I was more assertive this evening. It paid off and he did a fair amount of walking and trotting for me and halted when I asked. Progress!

By this time I noticed Sinwaan had come over closer to the gate and was grazing where he could keep one eye on me. So I put Ollokot back out and went to get Sinwaan. I took him up to the hitching post and brushed him and picked out his hooves and put on his fly spray. Then I grabbed my helmet and decided today would be a bareback day.

I led him to the round pen with just his halter and lead and scrambled up on him from the mounting block. I probably should have held off on the fly spray since it seemed to make him extra slippery. He was a good sport and waited until I was SURE I had found my seat. We did a lot of walking around and in the meantime I tried to find my balance. I started getting comfortable so asked for a slow jog. He did pretty well at that although every time he felt my weight shift the wrong direction he would slow down and wait for me to get it together. I think next time I decide to ride bareback I will take him out to the arena so we have a little more space to maneuver.

I was only out at the barn tonight about an hour but it was worth it.

1 comment:

Lara said...

A bareback ride, cool :D