Saturday, July 7, 2007

July 7 2007


Today we had a great ride on our own. I aimed to be out early but didn't make it out on the trail until 9:30 am. This is due in part to my driving the Cache Hollow/Kinnear Rd/Lincton Mtn to check the mileage since I want to ride that loop at some point. Turns out it is 10.8 mi so will have to wait and do that ride another day. I also noticed two beehives on Kinnear Rd and judging by the bees swarming the truck as I rode by, I am not crazy about trying that on a horse this time of year.

We rode up Cache Hollow and it took about a mile and half in addition to a good long canter to get Sinwaan of the mindset that we were indeed riding out alone. It was like being in stop and go traffic with him today. At the walk he was very reluctant but once I got him moving out at the trot he went straight away. We took a small break at the mile point and another break at the two mile point. This is normally where we turn around. I let Sinwaan do some grazing and heard a deer crash out of the weeds and onto the road. She was so cute and so close. I took some photos with my disposable camera that I carry with us. After the 2 mi mark I rode about 1/4 mi but then got off and walked Sinwaan at that point as the road was so rough and rocky, not to mention STEEP! We made it to the top after a few brief "breathers" and I let him get another mouthfull of wild grass and I saw a dirt road heading out along the top of the mountain so we took that. There was an old dryer out there in the middle of nowhere with many bullet holes, a target practice object no doubt. It was so beautiful up there, I could see all of the city below.

At this point I decided to head home so I got off again and walked Sinwaan back down to the 2 mi point and we took a short break there again. Mounted up and he was eager to go! We did a lot of trotting back down and even had a really good run for a fair stretch and that was great. He did a lot better today with his spooking, nothing worth mentioning, even going through the scary point with the trash was no trouble today.

When we got back to the road Sinwaan hesitated and we could hear a loud vehicle. Not wanting to be in the middle of the road when it came around the corner we waited. And waited. Sinwaan finally decided it was safe and we went on across the road. As we were crossing I looked over and saw the loud vehicle coming up on us - it was none other than Matt in his camaro. I should have guessed! What perfect timing. He had never seen Sinwaan ever, so this was great. He had brought Levi and the camera so he took some photos of me astride and then I walked him up to the barn and hoisted Levi up and got some photos of his first time on a horse.



Then Matt and Levi sat in the shade of the barn and took more photos as I untacked and hosed Sinwaan down. I gave him some grain and carrots and turned him out in the pasture, of course he had to have his roll.

Ollokot had come over by this time so I tried to take some photos of him, got distracted by this awesome yellow butterfly so took some photos of that, and the goats, and just enjoyed some time out there.



It was a great 3 hour ride today, we went approx 6 mi.

No comments: