Saturday, October 20, 2012

Birthday ride

Typically for my birthday there is one thing I always have on my to-do list, and that is riding. Today was no exception.

I was a bit worried last night, when what appeared to be a monsoon threatened with wind gusts and rain all night long. It was scary out there, and I was in town where there is some shelter offered from neighboring houses. I couldn't imagine how bad the winds might be out on the farm.

At 7 am when I took the dogs out it still looked wet, dark and windy. I went back to bed. My darling husband made us a fine breakfast, during which the sun came out and shone brightly through the front window, tempting me to chance it.  The weather report on the computer said 60% humidity/rain and high winds, but looking to the west it was clear blue skies so that decided it.

Ellie had picked out a pink hair bow for my birthday gift. One for me and one for herself, so I wore mine to the barn and we took some photos.



It was windy, and bright at the barn. 

Sinwaan was fairly calm, considering the elements.

We loaded up for the Lake. I thought because of the sun and the time (10 am) surely there would be a number of horse trailers at the lake. There was only one. Two gaited horses heading out as I was grooming. Sinwaan was a little edgy. He wanted to go with the other horses.

Ellie has found that this is the perfect spot for her. She can grab Sinwaan's lead rope and pull his head over to give him attention and she is up off the ground, giving her a little more height than usual.

There is a wooden rail along the perimeter of the parking lot that works great as a mounting block. The grass growing alongside it is an added bonus for Sinwaan. Usually he will grab a bite but today he was too interested in where those gaited horses went!

As you can see we had beautiful weather complimented by the fall leaves.

Sinwaan thinks posing is silly. He would rather be moving!


He stood nicely for a couple of photos before we set out on the trails. We walked a bit but he was really eager (combination of the lack of other equines + the wind I am sure) and a working mind and body always helps both of us. So off we went in a trot, leaving the family on foot to hike the trails.

We rode around the outer loop and then back on the inner loop. I thought perhaps we would meet up with either the gaited horses, or Laurie, but never saw any of them. Sinwaan had a couple of good spooks but this saddle is great at keeping me secure in my seat. Sometimes I think he jumps just to make sure I am paying attention.  We were a bit short on time (birthday lunch with family) so I trotted when it was safe to do so. We had to walk in a couple of muddy sections but overall I was impressed with the trails considering all the rain just hours prior.

As we were heading along the canal I looked across and saw Matt. I yelled and he heard me. He picked up Ellie so she could see me and wave, then Levi had a turn. Matt hollered "We'll race you back!" I said "ok!" They had the advantage of being on the right side of the canal, I had a little ways to go yet to the crossing point. Sinwaan was happy to trot along and it was only a couple of minutes before I had them in my sights. At that time I saw a deer jump across the trail behind them. Levi was focused on beating me and he was jogging pretty fast. I cantered to catch up to them. Ellie was up on Matt's shoulders and turned around to see us running up to her and she was delighted. Once we caught up we just walked but it was faster then Matt was going so we passed him and Ellie and followed Levi. He stayed ahead of us and beat us to the trailer.


When I ride on my birthday I can't help but think back to my first horse Dee. My last ride on her was on my birthday, four days before she died, 10/24/06. So this was a celebratory, and memorial, ride for me.


1 comment:

Lara said...

Cant wait to have a ride on my birthdays :) Looks like fun.... and the pink bows.... lol, cute!