Saturday, September 18, 2010

Mountain Ride

I got incredibly lucky this weekend and fit in two rides in a row!

Today Ruth and I trailered out to Cache Hollow Road, my old stomping grounds, to have ourselves a mountain ride. It was 3 hours of long slow distance (LSD) as we climbed up up up Cache Hollow, stopped at the top for a breather and to enjoy the 360 degree view of the surrounding valleys. Onward to the connecting Kinnear Rd and more climbing... hmmm I remembered this road as being flatter than we experienced today.



Our horses seemed a bit tired from the sandy ride yesterday but they gave a good effort. When it seemed Kinnear would never end, finally we spied cattle, and the stock/holding pen with the cattle chute, meaning we had reached the intersection with Lincton Mountain Road. I told Ruth it was all downhill from here. Well I ate those words as we turned left towards home and had to climb another hill before the road took a turn downward.



It was a hard ride, I quickly went through both of my water bottles before the end. When we were about a mile from the trailer it started to rain, just cooling little sprinkles, but a warning of what was to come. Hooray, we finished just in time! I told Ruth I thought I had mapped this ride out before at about 10 miles but in doing the math once I got home I found it was either a 10.9 or 11 mile loop.

Cache Hollow Rd 2.7 mi
Kinnear Rd/Lincton Mtn Rd 3.6 mi
Lincton Mountain Rd. 4.6 mi

The math above adds up to 10.9 but if you draw out the loop on Google maps it comes up as 11. My GPS has a dead battery currently, I'll have to ride it again and try it out to see what it says.

No comments: