Wednesday, May 26, 2010

May 25

Due to Matt having obligations this past weekend I did not get a chance to get back into the saddle until tonight. I headed out after work. Sinwaan's spot is looking so much better, it is nice to see the hair re-growth there instead of a big bald patch!

He is looking a bit round to me. Cindy reports that she has cut back on his hay but since the grass is growing in his paddock he is getting extra calories there, which is great, I would prefer that he graze all day when possible.

We did our 8 mile (flat) loop tonight. I checked the time as I headed out but soon was distracted and forgot what it was! I do know I shaved 4 minutes off my driving time on the motorcycle to get there.

I had heard reports of a cougar killing three sheep at the pasture we ride past on Stovall. Tonight I noticed they had added two llamas to the flock. Sinwaan was not sure about these mysterious creatures! It took a bit of encouragement and bravery to get past them. Crazy horse, he lives with two llamas!

When we got close to the bridge I called Matt and he loaded up the kids and drove out to meet me to take some photos. I will post a couple of those up later. It was a good ride and I think we made decent time. Jenee' saw me ride past both directions and she thought it had been about an hour, so that would be right for six miles.

I am hoping to get in at least one more conditioning ride before Klickitat - with the long holiday that could be tough as we are visiting family. I don't want to tire him out before the ride either. Typically he gets the whole week off before and after a ride. We'll see. This road riding is not easy on his feet. I am noticing a rear hind hoof chipping a little above the shoe. I would hate to go out for another road ride and lose a shoe or have him come up lame a couple days before the big ride. I don't know if my boots will fit over the shoes, and I have never booted him in the hind either. Things to mull over.

No comments: