Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Labor Day Ride

What a gorgeous day! I couldn't let it slip by without getting a ride in, so I headed out to the barn about 3:30 pm. Sinwaan was still quite clean from yesterday so it didn't take much grooming to have him ready to go. I did notice he is starting to grow past his shoes and made a mental note to call the farrier. I must not have made an appointment last time he was out. Sorry boy!

We had a great ride today, going down Elliot and taking the dirt road out almost to Telephone Pole road before turning around and heading back. We had a couple really nice canters/gallops today in addition to a fair amount of trotting. Heading back it felt a little warm but overall I really can't complain about the weather at all!

Heading home in front of the homestead Sinwaan tried to give a little buck but a verbal warning ceased that. Man, what is causing that? Barn sour? Tack not fitting right? What!? When I untacked him after our ride I noticed he is losing a little more hair on the girth behind his elbows and maybe he is getting a gall there which makes him uncomfortable? I really never had any trouble with him (that I can remember) before I switched girths. I got this new one because it was on sale and works with my saddle. Maybe I need to look around for another one.

I scrubbed out his water tank and gave him a nibble of grain before heading home about 5:30. It was a good day.

Now that he has done so well at the Fair, I sent in my pre-entry for the MacMurdo show. Only a few weeks away, but I am hoping to find some time to practice with him a little more on setting up.

2 comments:

falconfeathers said...

Glad that you are still finding time to ride.
Man, I need to move out your way or you move my way, so we can ride together!

When is the MacMurdo show?

Shana said...

September 20