Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sunday, post-Fandango

Got up early again because I heard the 'dinner bell' and knew it was a warning for the riders to start soon and I wanted to try for some photos. I was able to get a couple but they weren't fantastic. What I didn't realize right away yesterday was that only the 25s and 50s were riding on Saturday. The 75 and 100 distances were today. And today's 25s we learned did not have a start time until NOON. At first I thought that would be nice to be able to sleep in, but who am I kidding? I am looking forward to the results in all divisions to see how everyone did. It has been really fun to see results and photos posted so quickly during a ride weekend.

After that I talked to Lara about walking the horses down to the grass so they could graze a little. I also wanted to try and find Naomi so I could cash in my gift certificate that I had won last night. We led them down to the grass outside the bathrooms and they happily munched away. I saw Steph and asked her about Naomi. Just then Naomi came walking by. Lara recognized her from her presentation that she gave yesterday before the ride meeting and we were able to introduce ourselves and ask about her availability. She said she would do it right away, she just had to grab a coat. So she walked back to the trailers with us.

First she got to know Sinwaan by putting her hands in his mouth and feeling him all over for sore spots. She picked up right away on the fact he travels with his head way up in the air, she said his neck was a little stiff. She also noticed that he was a little tender over his shoulders and asked to see my saddle to determine their fit. I brought out the Wintec first since that is what we rode in yesterday. She had me take off the saddle pad and girth and we put it on him and she thought it really fit quite well. I told her I had been using a riser with it and she felt the riser was contributing to the problem of his sore shoulders. She told me to ride without the riser and I should notice an improvement (after he gets at least a week off).

Then I also asked her to check the fit of the Abetta. She felt that one was a little tight on him in one spot on each side, but fit well everywhere else. Hmmm. So I am not sure what to do now. Apparently I could have just bought a fleece saddle cover and probably solved my problems with the Wintec but now I have about $200 invested in this Abetta and new pad so I guess I will alternate between them.

Naomi explained the TTEAM method and did it all over Sinwaan, on his sides and neck and girth area and shoulders. She also did some stretches with his legs and feet, and showed me how to relax him by folding his ears and massaging them. She also did a tail pull and described the best way to do that is to slowly release after the horse leans away for a good stretch.



I learned quite a bit and she was very helpful in many areas. I walked her back to her trailer and she gave us each a copy of her business card, newsletter and flyer on how to spend 10 minutes a day with the TTEAM method to make your horse happier. It was really a neat prize and very worthwhile. Thank you Naomi! (I also checked out her website TTEAM For Endurance later and learned that she was the owner of Mustang Lady, of which Breyer made a model of when I was an avid collector)

After that was over the sun was up and I was getting warm, time to shed some layers. The rest of the family was now up, with mom commenting "you guys sure get up early! It's only 7:30 at home right now..." We packed up our belongings, took down the portable corral and put it away and emptied the water from the cooler. Everything was organized and packed. I had to use the bathroom so I left mom in charge of holding Sinwaan so he could graze and stretch before the long trip home. Once everyone was ready we loaded up the horses, figured the best way to leave camp, and headed out. We were careful not to speed on the gravel road. A sheriff had come by yesterday and we learned at the ride meeting that neighbors were calling the cops about people driving too fast up Bates Creek Road. Steph also told us that last year one of the neighbors had put large rocks in the road to deter people from speeding. If people do not respect the other residents, she would not be able to continue to host these rides.

The drive back to the pavement went by quickly this time, and then the drive back to I-84 also went by fast. Before I knew it we had been on the road for 2 hours. However, mom and I quickly dubbed this as "the drive that never ends." It again took us 8 hours to reach our destination.



We stopped a couple times for gas (at one stop a man commented on how I had a nice looking Appaloosa), and twice to watch a long train go by (that is Matt's hobby and Levi LOVES the trains) I again drove Eddie and Matt drove Kate (Lara's truck). When we got to Milton-Freewater Matt joined us in Eddie and Lara went to the barn because she planned on being there a long time.

When we got back to our house I parked Eddie and then took the Camaro out to the barn to meet Lara and help Sinwaan settle into his new home. He is now boarded at Orion Ranch in Walla Walla. Thanks Darold for having us. At first Sinwaan was a little nervous but we both think it really helped him to have bonded with Ima over the weekend and now she is just across the aisle from him. He calmed down considerably in the time that I was there and I left feeling confident that he would do just fine. Lara and I are looking forward to riding together in June without having to trailer anywhere :)

No comments: