Saturday, December 6, 2008

A nice December day

This morning we (the family) decided to go out and visit Sinwaan. I took him some apples and thought maybe if I got lucky I could hop on and ride him bareback around the arena. So I put my helmet on in preparation. Sinwaan was easy to halter and enjoyed the first apple thoroughly. I led him out of his paddock and tried to get him up alongside a fence so I would have some height to get on him. (I have never been able to spring up onto a horse with no stirrup or mounting block). He would swing his butt away from me every time I tried. So Matt came out and tried to help me by standing on the other side of him. Sinwaan was wary of the Matt/Levi combination as Levi was up on Matt's shoulders.



After two attempts I was able to get on board but only for a second, Sinwaan jumped and I slid off the back. Oh well. I thought it better to give up for today. He has had too much vacation to behave without some round pen work and the proper tack. So I took off the leadrope and encouraged him to get some exercise. He took off and ran around the enclosure with his tail up over his back in a long springy extended trot. He even cleared a jump someone had set up out there. He snorted and blew and did some sliding stops and showed off.



I felt bad about his condition, he needs a extensive grooming as his mane is now all tangled in a couple places and he had a bramble in his tail. His hooves look ok for now. I was worried about needing to pull his shoes fairly soon but I think they'll be fine another couple weeks. It is supposed to be as bright, and maybe warmer tomorrow so I hope to get out there to at least give him a thorough grooming and try and reconnect.

3 comments:

falconfeathers said...

Hi Shana,

Glad you were able to get out to see Sinwaan. He is so pretty in his "snow suit"! All white and furry.

I haven't been doing any more riding since our last ride in Nov.
Too crazy around here, getting ready for Christmas and all.

Speaking of which...
Merry Christmas to all of you
love Auntie!

Christine said...

Great photo of the trot and tail up! My Arab X rarely puts on that sort of display for me ;)

Well the good grooming and a chance to reconnect sounds wonderful - good luck with the plans!

Lara said...

Aw that is a really cute pic of Sinwaan :D Atleast you have been able to see him more of late...