Sunday, September 14, 2008

Trail ride with Ruth and Heather

Today Ruth and Heather and I had planned a ride out from Darold's place about 1:30. I was running slightly behind schedule as I rushed about the house at 1 pm getting dressed, taking dogs out, filling water bottles. I got on the bike and decided to take College Ave. to the highway today instead of going past Wal-Mart on the slower roads. Matt followed me in the Camaro since he wanted to check out something that direction anyway. I saw a glimpse of Ruth's horse trailer ahead of me and was glad they were not too far ahead of me. However they got two lights green that I did not, so that put them at the barn at least five minutes ahead of me.

They took a look in the barn as I pulled up and then we tacked up the horses. We were all ready within minutes of each other. Unfortunately today while I was grooming Sinwaan I noticed he was oozing a little from his belly where the flies have been gathering. I will need to get something for that asap. Heather, and later Lara, suggested Corona ointment.

Well we headed out today to Elliot and rode the 8 mile loop. We saw about seven harvesters in one field. The horses did great and didn't seem too bothered by them. Once the horses were warmed up at the walk we set out in a trot and trotted until we got to the harvesters. I asked Ruth if she had told Heather of her plan to do this ride all at the trot (jokingly) and she said no, but she could. We did a lot of trotting on Elliot and some on the dirt road but the dust was pretty bad and Topper started acting up a little so we walked some more. There were sprinklers going over the road at the end so we opted to ride in the field instead. It used to be wheat and now it is just stubble so we figured no one would mind.

Out onto Telephone Pole road and we did a lot more trotting. I was impressed that the other two horses were doing so well barefoot on the gravel roads. We got to the intersection at the end of that road and went right into the field edge back to Elliot. We did more walking and the dust was bad again. Back on Elliot, Sinwaan knew he was headed for home and set off in the lead in his power trot until I pulled him down to a more friendly speed for everyone. Lots more trotting heading home, and back past the harvesters with little trouble.

I really enjoyed riding with Ruth and Heather today, they are great company and Heather on Quincy led the way most of the time and kept us to a nice steady trot. Good conversations and nice weather, although a bit warm, high 80s (I know, I can't complain, really!) It was nice to have the additional motivation to get in those extra miles that I don't normally do alone.

1 comment: