Saturday, August 13, 2011

Bennington Lake - 7 miles



Today I met up with Ruth, Heather, Laurie and Annie for a ride at Bennington Lake, thanks to the graciousness of the Fleischers who let me use their older Dodge to haul my trailer. My truck is out of commission at the moment.

I parked at the bottom and saw Ruth drive by to park at the top. I tried calling her but my phone had a problem. So I tacked up and hoped I would take the right trail to meet her. I decided to go along the water that borders Rook's Park since last time I saw Laurie I thought she had mentioned that she rides over the bridge there to get to Bennington.

I didn't see Laurie but when I reached the spillway I did catch a glimpse of two riders approaching. I waved and they waved back. I couldn't tell yet if it was "my people." As they got closer I could tell it was Heather astride Bunny and Ruth riding Blue. I had seen a couple photos but never met their new horses so it was nice to see them in the flesh. We talked for a moment about what to do and decided to head back towards the bridge to meet Laurie and Annie. We saw Laurie on Otto first, proudly donning her life vest. She has a protective riding vest en route in the mail but until it arrives this one works well to keep her safe should Otto launch her. It was only a moment longer until Ruth saw Annie galloping towards us down a distant hill.

All together now we headed out on the trails around the lake. We mostly walked, given this was Bunny's first time out and Blue is recovering from a fetlock injury that had him in a cast the past month! I had remembered my GPS today and watched as the miles ticked by. Eventually it was time for Heather to get back home so Ruth and Heather dismounted in the upper parking lot, we all chatted for a bit and then I continued on with Annie and Laurie. We picked up the pace and trotted and cantered down the path back to the spillway. It felt good to let Sinwaan out as he enjoys a brief gallop.

All told we did about 7 miles in two hours today. It was so nice to ride with all the ladies and I look forward to doing this again soon.

No comments: