Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ride in the RAIN


What a day! Most of the morning was spent at Matt's grandmother's memorial service. It was really neat, they had the horse-drawn hearse with the team of black Percheron's. The weather was perfect for it but the forecast called for rain.

At 1:30 DeeDee picked me up and we went out to get Sinwaan. Loaded up and it was looking cloudy. We drove out to Madam Dorian and by the time we got there it was really raining. DeeDee said "well, I don't mind getting caught in the rain, but I don't like to start out in it" and I agreed with her. We sat there for a minute in the truck and it really didn't look like it would let up any time soon so we turned around and drove back to Bennington Lake, where it was still dry.

We tacked up and I put on my cheapo rain jacket ($1 at WalMart) since I had never tried that before and wanted to see how Sinwaan would handle me in a trash bag. He did really well. It was breezy and it flapped around but he did fine until I got it caught on a thorn bush next to the trail. He spooked a little but couldn't go too far since DeeDee and Navajo were right in front of us. We had some good times, galloping all out up some of the hills. Sinwaan got a little competitive which was fun.



About 15-20 min into the ride it started sprinkling but it wasn't unpleasant. Half way around the lake it started coming down harder. Still bearable. DeeDee took me up a trail I had never been on, to show me the view. The footing was good and we galloped the horses all the way up that too. I got two photos of us up there.



After that we took the gravel road back alongside Rooks park to the trailer. The rain was just pouring down upon us. It got so bad heading into the wind and the rain that the horses' heads were down almost to the ground, they were not too happy. DeeDee told me "Ok, it's not fun anymore." Call me completely crazy but I loved all of it. Something about a new adventure, the experience of something you haven't really done before, I just love it. I was so glad to have gotten a ride in today even if it was mostly in the rain.

When I turned Sinwaan loose in his pasture he went over to his shelter, and tucked tail to the wind, and stood next to it, not in it, like he always does. Crazy horse!

No comments: