Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday ride

Today we went 11.2 miles. Our time was 2 hr 15 min.


It was a great day to be riding - the sun was shining and the temperature fantastic (46°). Not t-shirt weather, but not so cold that you are uncomfortable.

I think the HR monitor was fairly accurate today. Sinwaan was in the low 100s (110) at the trot (with fairly good recoveries when we slowed to a walk), until we headed back towards home (Beet Rd). He had a spook at some dirt (of all things!) and I went flying off (I believe that is the first time I have come off him). I was glad to have landed on soft ground, but it felt like I pulled both calves pretty good. I stood and stretched them out a bit before remounting. After that he was really moving out and his HR went up to the 120s. Finally, working.

All in all we had a great ride. I feel like I need to step it up to have him ready and continue to do this loop, or one similar to it in distance, every weekend between now and the ride (5 weeks away). He seemed a little tired when we got back home today. In the past when we were done he still was ready to do more. I was able to walk him in on a loose lead the final mile or so to cool him out a bit. He also seemed a little fat today so his caretaker and I had a conversation about cutting back slightly on his night time feeding. It would help if he wasn't carrying any extra weight.

1 comment:

Lara said...

sounds like you have been getting in some good rides!