Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Mid-week Ride

Today was the first time since last year that I have been able to go on a ride in the middle of the week. We finally have daylight when I get off work! I was not able to get out to the barn until a little after six pm but the temperature was 61 and it was gorgeous as the sun was going down. On the way to the pasture I met two new boarders, Don and Arlene. They were in the round pen tending to their two horses. I went out and got Sinwaan and started brushing him. He is still shedding out a lot so hair was flying everywhere and I felt like it was a losing battle, as the more I brushed, the more hair came out. Finally I gave up, he looked pretty clean. I checked his hooves and tacked him up with our usual tack. I am thinking he is starting to put on weight already with the fresh spring grasses as I think his girth was one notch looser today.

I walked him down to the gate and the boarders asked me if I needed to use the round pen. I told them no, and continued on my way.

We rode up Cache Hollow, the usual 4 miles round trip. Sinwaan was moving out really nicely for me today at the walk. We trotted probably a mile and a 1/4 on the way up with a little cantering and walking interspersed, so we made really good time (even with a pee break - for him). Only when I would ask for the canter and he got going, would result in his dry hollow cough. After a brief rest he would be fine and we would ride on. As much as I would like to figure out what is going on with him, I think I will wait another week and see if it doesn't clear up on it's own.

Coming home he was moving out well for me and listening pretty good. Although he did seem especially jumpy at all the forest noises. After I untacked him I worked on his coat some more, trying to pull out as much of the winter hair as I could since he sweated up more than he should have this ride. I grained him (like he needs it now!) and put him back out to pasture. He peed again and then resumed grazing.

Next ride: Sunday.

No comments: